Delphi and C++Builder 2010 InstantOn FAQ
For more information about InstantOn, see What is InstantOn?
What are the differences between regular installs and InstantOn installs?
There are a few technical limitations at this time with the ION version of RAD Studio 2010, including:
- Windows 7 Support: While the InstantOn application does run on Windows 7, it is not officially supported at this time. The InstantOn application is supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. The full install is supported on all of those platforms plus Windows 7.
- Third Party Installs: Third party installs into the virtual environment are not officially supported at this time. It is possible to install a third party application by selecting View->File Explorer and running the third party install. However, there may be some issues running third parties in this environment.
- English Documentation Included: Only the English documentation is included in the InstantOn executable. To view help in another language, the help installer can be downloaded from the registered user's site and installed on the host system. Alternatively, consult the RAD Studio documentation wiki.
- Instant-On updates are provided as separate executables: If Embarcadero releases an update to a release, a new InstantOn executable will need to be downloaded. This implies that any customization that was done to the original executable must be repeated on the updated InstantOn executable. For example, if a third party add-on was installed or library paths were modified, those same actions would need to be done on the updated InstantOn executable.
- InstantOn does not provide BDE Administration via the control panel: To use BDE Administration on the InstantOn version, run View->File Browser and run BDEAdmin.exe, located at Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE.
- Grace periods are not provided with InstantOn versions of the product: To use the InstantOn version of the product, the user must complete the registration process. For installed products, users can delay registration for a short period of time.
- The InstantOn build does not automatically install the prerequisites software: If the prerequisites are not installed, the user is notified that he or she must download the pre-requisites from Microsoft.