Go Up to AppWave Readme
This section contains the following topics:
- AppWave Host Upgrade Notes
- AppWave Browser Upgrade Notes
- Upgrading When You Have Internet Connection
- Upgrading Using the Media Kit
- Migrating ToolCloud Settings to AppWave
- Replacing Embarcadero License Center with AppWave
AppWave is based on the Embarcadero ToolCloud technologies. If you are running ToolCloud and ToolBox, the following information will help you upgrade to the new system.
- AppWave Installer: The AppWave installer includes upgrade functionality.
- Backing Up: Before you upgrade to AppWave, make backups of your existing system. The install and upgrade process does not include undo functionality. Backing up AppWave is discussed in the "AppWave Administrator Guide".
- Importing Licenses: When upgrading from ToolCloud to AppWave, the AppWave installer will attempt to import licenses from an existing 1.x system. It will shut down the existing Embarcadero License Center (ELC) and remove the 1.x ToolCloud.
- InterBase Port: Upgrading from ToolCloud 1.x to AppWave will fail if the InterBase port number is changed during the upgrade process.
- Users and Licenses: Users and license assignments are automatically migrated to AppWave if you use the upgrade option in the installer.
- Running in Parallel: You cannot run ToolCloud and AppWave in parallel on the same machine.
- Migration Folders: If, for example, on ToolCloud 1.x you had a assigned a Silver license to a user then when you upgrade, there will be a folder called Migration_Silver, which will contain the user and all the applications corresponding to the Silver license level.
- All Apps Folder: When installation is complete, the All Apps folder will not contain the All Users group. AppWave Browser users will have access only to applications corresponding to the license level assigned on 1.x through the migration folder.
- Restricted Mode: In its default configuration, anyone inside your firewall can access your AppWave and run the applications broadcasted by it. Also, Apps broadcast from AppWave Studio will immediately be added to the All Apps folder and will be available to the All Users group. To secure your AppWave, set Allow client to register user to off. You should also edit the All Users group, the All Apps folder, and the user to limit the licenses available for that user. For more information, see Managing AppWave, Managing Folders, Managing Groups, Managing Users and Publish Applications.
- Embarcadero License Center: Embarcadero License Center (ELC) is integrated with AppWave and installs automatically when you install All-Access. ELC requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on the same machine, which is also installed automatically by the AppWave installer.
- License Hosting: You use the Embarcadero License Hosting web site at members.embarcadero.com/login.aspx to create configuration files that let Embarcadero License Center track and control license distribution on AppWave. The site requires login and host server information. During AppWave installation, record the AppWave host name and IP address for later use on the License Hosting Website.
- Windows Services Registration: AppWave is automatically registered as a Windows service, therefore it will start when your machine starts. By default, the service is named Embarcadero AppWave. If you do not want AppWave to start as a Windows service, you can reset or otherwise change the service by selecting Start > Embarcadero AppWave X.X > Configure AppWave. In the Embarcadero AppWave Properties dialog, select the General tab and change the service parameters. For instructions on providing AppWave Browser to users, see Providing Users with AppWave Browser in the Admin User Guide.
The wizard-based installer guides you through the upgrade process. This section describes installation prerequisites and the Installation Wizard. It also provides information about decisions you must make during installation. You must have administrative privileges to run the install. To complete the installation, you need to complete each panel of the Installation Wizard.
Installation Wizard - License Agreement
To start the installation process:
- Double-click setup.exe and the License Agreement appears.
- Click I accept the terms of the License Agreement.
- Click Next and the previous version detected panel appears.
Installation Wizard - Upgrade previous AppWave version
- Remove and install: If chosen, the ToolCloud or previous version of AppWave software will be uninstalled without backing up the previous version. All license files and binary files are not deleted when upgrading from AppWave 2.x to 3.x.
- Upgrade: If chosen, the data for the ToolCloud or previous version of AppWave will be backed up, the previous software will be uninstalled and AppWave will be installed. Data, such as users and groups from the previous ToolCloud or AppWave version will be imported into the new installation of AppWave.
Installation Wizard - Remove previous Embarcadero License Center
In ToolCloud versions 1.x, Embarcadero License Center (ELC) was installed as a separate application. In AppWave, ELC is more tightly integrated into the product. This screen will only appear if you are upgrading from ToolCloud to AppWave. When upgrading AppWave, you will not see this screen.
- Remove without import: If chosen, the previous version of ELC will be removed. License information is not retained. You will have to complete the License setup option on the AppWave Dashboard. For more information, see Set Up Licenses in the AppWave Administrator Guide.
- Remove and import: If chosen, licenses previously setup in ToolCloud are backed up, ELC is removed and then the licensing information is imported into AppWave. The licenses will be setup by the installer and there will be no need to set them up again.
Installation Wizard - Install Options
AppWave Browser Upgrade Notes
- Download AppWave Browser from the upgraded AppWave Host and then run it. AppWave Browser will prompt you to upgrade the first time it runs. Your bookmarks, folders, and local app repository will be retained.
- Users running AppWave Browser 3.0 or 3.0.1 will not be able to upgrade the Browser from the AppWave Store if the Browser was installed by the administrator for all users on that machine, using the installer with the -a command line parameter. This prevents the user from running apps from the AppWave Store. In order to resolve this problem, the administrator should uninstall AppWave Browser and then the current user with administrative rights should install the most current version of AppWave Browser.
Upgrading using the Media kit
Upgrade ToolCloud 1.x to AppWave 3.x using the Upgrade instructions described above in Upgrade Instructions. For information on updating the product catalog and applications, consult the AppWave Quick Start.
Migrating ToolCloud Settings to AppWave
If you have ToolCloud installed on one system and want to upgrade to AppWave and install AppWave on a different system, you can migrate your ToolCloud ELC settings such as licenses, users, and groups to the new AppWave by following these steps.
- Install AppWave on the new system.
- Backup the license files on the AppWave installation, so that if something goes wrong you can go back to previous settings. These files are located in …\[AppWave_install_dir]\elc\conf and include:
- Backup the licenses zip files located in …\[ELC_install_dir]\conf (default: C:\Embarcadero\ELC4.2\LicenseCenter\conf ).
- In the MANAGE LICENSES area, click License Inventory and then click Import License. Browse to the license .zip file and then click Import License or you can copy the licenses to …\[AppWave_install_dir]\elc\conf on the system running AppWave .
- Backup the licenses assignments files located in …\[ELC_install_dir]\conf. Copy them to …\[AppWave_install_dir]\elc\conf on the machine running AppWave .
- Reload the license files, In the MANAGE LICENSES area, click License Inventory > License Files and then click Reload License Files.
Replacing Embarcadero License Center with appWave
The Embarcadero License Center software has been integrated into AppWave. If you are upgrading your Embarcadero License Center (ELC) installation, you will set up licenses, users and groups. You do not have to cache products on AppWave if AppWave will only be managing your site licenses and you do not have an All-Access license.