AppWave Store FAQs
AppWave Store FAQs
Note: Always make sure to consult the README for late breaking updates at http://docs.embarcadero.com/products/appwave.
This FAQ is divided into two parts: a) the AppWave Public Store, and b) the AppWave Enterprise Store.
The AppWave Public Store is an internet-available store for Windows apps that gives user access to free apps from categories such as productivity, media, utilities, developer/database tools, and games - all of which they can run from their browser.
The AppWave Enterprise Store is for Windows software acquired by and made available within organizations for fast and easy "mobil-like" access to software. All the end users in your organization can search, browse, and run Windows software immediately, from anywhere. The Administrators can track software usage real time with comprehensive reports on demand. These reports give them critical information needed to track what software to maintain and support. You can:
- Install AppWave in a location accessible to all team members. This could be a shared PC, your own workstation, or a server location.
- Get the AppWave Browser: You can download and run the AppWave Browser on your PC from your installed AppWave Location (http://host:port/aaserver).
- Explore and Run: Running a popular app or an Embarcadero app from the AppWave Browser initiates a one-time download of that app to AppWave from the Internet. After that, subsequent runs are very fast. The first time you run a free app, you are prompted to enter your AppWave ID (which is the same as your EDN Account). This is a one-time registration.
- Share: You can share the AppWave Browser URL, and the URL for apps you like, to colleagues on your Local Area Network for easy access. You can also rate and write reviews for apps you have run providing useful information to your colleagues.
- Run Apps: You can run your own apps inside of AppWave. Please refer to the AppWave Studio User Guide for instructions on mastering your own apps and broadcasting them through AppWave, using the Studio tab within the AppWave Browser.
You can also evauate Embarcadero products. Free Embarcadero product trials have always been available to users via our product and trial website pages (for example: http://www.embarcadero.com/downloads.com. These trials are delivered as user-installable software with a short-term license.
AppWave Public Store FAQs
Q: Where is the AppWave Store?
A: Visit http://www.windowsapps.com.
Q: Why do I need to sign up for the AppWave Store?
A: By setting up an account you can:
- Take your Apps with you to any PC;
- Run free Apps without installation hassles;
- Rate and write reviews of your Apps;
- Stay informed about new Apps, product updates, and special offers. Note that Embarcadero's Privacy Statement can be seen at http://www.embarcadero.com/privacy-statement/.
Q: How do I create an account for the AppWave Store?
- Click My Account (Sign In or Sign Up) in the upper right-hand corner of the AppWave Store page.
- Click the Create One link.
- On the Sign Up page, complete the information, click Sign Up, and you are now a registered user! Enjoy AppWave by going to http://www.windowsapps.com/.
Q: How do I run an App in the AppWave Store?
A: The first time you run an App, the AppWave Browser is installed. This is required because Apps from the AppWave Store are streamed and run from the AppWave Browser instead of being installed.
- When the AppWave Store opens select an App and click Free. A message opens informing you that since this is the first time you are running an App, you need to install the AppWave Browser.
- Click OK in the message box and follow the prompts.
- Once the executable is downloaded, double-click the file. The splash screen opens tracking each element as it is installed.
- Once installed, the AppWave Browser icon is placed in the System Tray. Note that the AppWave Browser does not open.
- The End User License Agreement for your selected App opens. Just click Accept and your App runs in the AppWave Browser.
Q: Do I have to install the AppWave Browser each time I want to run an App?
A: After the initial install, you do not need to reinstall the AppWave Browser. It is just three easy steps to run an App.
- In the AppWave Store, select an App, click Free. A message opens informing you that your App is being broadcast to your computer.
- The End User License Agreement opens for that App.
- Accept the agreement and your App runs in the AppWave Browser.
Q: How do I write a review?
A: You can write a review for any App in the AppWave Store.
- Select an App and the information page for that App opens.
- Click the Reviews tab and then click Rate this App.
- In the Write a Review box first select the number of stars for the App Rating.
- You can then enter a title, write your review, and submit it.
- A message tells you "Success - Your review has been accepted for moderation". Once it is approved, your review appears in the AppWave Store.
Q: How much do Apps cost?
A: Each App is priced individually by their respective authors.
Q: Where do I find the Apps I've selected to run?
A: Once an App is streamed, it is visible in your AppWave Browser under Managed Apps.
- In the left pane, click Managed Apps.
- All the Apps streamed from the AppWave Store are listed.
Q: How do I delete an App?
A: You delete your streamed App from the AppWave Browser.
- In the left pane click Managed Apps.
- In the right pane, right-click the app you want to delete.
- Select Delete Application and a confirm dialog asks if "you are sure you want to completely remove any local files from this application that are on your computer."
- Click Yes and the App is deleted from Managed Apps. However, the deleted App can be streamed again.
AppWave Enterprise Store FAQs
Q: How do I get started on the Appwave Enterprise Store?
- Download the AppWave installation from https://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/appwave/.
- Select AppWave 4.1 (either 32-bit or 64-bit) and click Download.
- Click Install and the AppWave End User License Agreement opens.
- Click Accept and the install splash screen opens tracking the various components as they are installed. Once installed, AppWave appears as an icon in the System Tray.
- Click the AppWave icon to open AppWave' and then click AppWave Store to view the available apps.
Q: How are the apps displayed in the Enterprise Store?
A: You can view the top apps for each category as well as overall. The apps are displayed in the following categories:
- Features Apps: The apps that the Administrator wants to measure.
- Highest Rated Apps: Average Rating (from highest to lowest) of apps available in the Enterprise Store.
- Newest Apps: Time of app on system (from newest to oldest) of apps available on the Enterprise Store.
- Most Popular Apps: This is based on the download popularity (from most downloaded to least) of apps available in the Enterprise Store.
Q: What or who determines which apps are displayed?
- The Administrator has access to an interface that allows him to select which apps within the Enterprise Store to promote.
- The apps will have, as part of their metadata, pre-built ad banners that are displayed on the home page.
- The Enterprise Store home page consists of alternating scrollable "top 10" sections interleaved with advertising banners.