Go Up to Available object actions by DBMS
The Detach Database object action removes the database from the server but leaves the database intact within the data and transaction log files that compose the database. These data and transaction log files can then be used to attach the database to any instance of Microsoft SQL Server, including the server from which the database was detached. This makes the database available in exactly the same state it was in when it was detached.
To Detach Data and Transaction Files for a Database
- Initiate a Detach Database action against a database. For more information see Initiating an object operation.
- The Detach Database(s) dialog opens.
- To skip the UPDATE STATISTICS operation when detaching the database, select the Skip Checks check box for the target database(s).
- Tip: This option is useful for databases that are to be moved to read-only media.
- Click Execute. For information on the scheduling option, see Scheduling.