Outlines Wizard (Oracle)
Go Up to Oracle Object Wizards
Outlines are a set of results for the execution plan generation of a particular SQL statement. When you create an outline, plan stability examines the optimization results using the same data used to generate the execution plan. That is, Oracle uses the input to the execution plan to generate an outline, and not the execution plan itself.
- Note: To create an outline, you must have CREATE ANY OUTLINE system privileges.
To create a new outline using a wizard:
- Open a creation wizard for an outline. For details, see Opening an Object Wizard.
- Use the following topics as a guide to setting properties and performing tasks as you pass through the wizard panels:
- Properties panel - Outlines (Oracle) - Properties.
- Definition panel - Outlines (Oracle) - Definition.
- DDL panel - for details, see Previewing the DDL Generated to Create the New Object.
- Finally, use the Execute button to create the object.
Outlines (Oracle) - Properties
When creating or editing an outline, this tab/panel lets you work with the following settings:
Stored Outline Name
Provide a unique name for the outline.
The category is a name you want to use to group stored outlines. (You can type over the word Default that appears automatically.)
Outlines (Oracle) - Definition
Type the SQL statement you want to store as an outline.
- Note: The only SQL statements possible with stored outlines are SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE, INSERT…SELECT, and CREATE TABLE…AS SELECT.