Session 1: Getting Started With Performance Analyst for DB2
Download and Install
You can obtain the latest version of Performance Analyst by downloading the DBArtisan software from the IDERA Web site at https://www.idera.com/dbartisan-database-administration-solution/freetrialsubscriptionform. Performance Analyst runs fully contained within DBArtisan so you will need the DBArtisan product to use Performance Analyst (although Performance Analyst can also run in standalone fashion within a Microsoft Internet Explorer Web browser).
Click Download, and follow the steps indicated. Save the file on your computer and then double-click to launch the self-extracting file that will guide you through the installation process.
When you first install an evaluation copy of DBArtisan, you can use the tool for 14 days. After that time, a permanent license is needed.
Overview for Performance Analyst for DB2
When DBArtisan is connected to an DB2 database, you can open Performance Analyst two ways:
- On the toolbar, click the Performance Analyst icon.
- On Utilities menu, select Performance Analyst.
- DBArtisan opens Performance Analyst.
DB2 requires that certain monitor switches be turned on for collecting various performance metrics. When Performance Analyst is first invoked, you will be prompted to turn on the monitor switches. Also, you can increase or decrease the size of the monitor heap depending on the activity of your database.
If you do not want to see this dialog each time you start Performance Analyst, you can check the "Save these settings as default" check box.
Navigating through Performance Analyst is easily accomplished through two main mechanisms:
- The main Performance Analyst toolbar contains buttons and drop-down menus that invoke the performance analysis main views and drill-downs within the product as well as frequently used actions like Refresh and Performance Threshold Customizations.
- Positioning the mouse pointer on any area within Performance Analyst and right-clicking brings up a navigation menu that allows you to easily move between any of the main Performance Analyst home pages and drill-down views. The right mouse menu also contains context-sensitive options like drilling down further into a particular statistic, copying the display to a text file, and more.
Proceed to Session 2: Using Ratio-based Performance