Session 2: Obtaining a Global View of Storage Using Space Analyst for Sybase ASE
When first invoked, Space Analyst displays a complete overview of the storage situation of a particular server. The first tab of Space Analyst can be used to see all pertinent global statistics regarding storage structure usage throughout a server.
There are four distinct sections displayed on the Storage Overview tab of Space Analyst:
Space Analyst for Sybase ASE - Server Overview
The total count of all databases, file groups, and files are shown in this section. You can also see the percentage breakdown of the database vs. log space on the server. Positioning the mouse pointer over the graph causes it to display the actual percentage amounts for storage type.
- Tip: If you want to see a grid-style display of the information shown in most graphs, position your mouse over the graph, click the right mouse button and select the 'toggle display' option.
Proceed to Space Analyst for Sybase ASE - Log Overview
Space Analyst for Sybase ASE - Log Overview
The log overview provides a quick glance into database transaction log usage. When invoked in graph form, this section shows the percentage of used log space per database. When shown in grid form, this section shows not only the total percentage of transaction log space used for each database, but also includes the total allocated and free amounts (in MB), along with an indicator that shows whether any of the database's transaction logs underlying log files can automatically grow if necessary.
Space Analyst for Sybase ASE - Database Overview
Summary information regarding every database on the server is present in the database overview section. When invoked in graph form, this section shows how much total space is used by each database. When shown in grid form, this section shows not only the total space used for each database, but also includes the total allocated, free, and percent free amounts, along with an indicator that shows whether any of the database's underlying datafiles can automatically grow if necessary.
- Tip: To see a grid-style display of the information shown in the graph, position your mouse over the graph, click the right mouse button and select the ‘toggle display’ option. To return to the graph, just perform the same actions over the grid.
When this section is in grid form, you can also perform a number of actions on a database like open it in a DBArtisan editor, extract its DDL, shrink it, and more. For example, if you want to open a database in DBArtisan's database manager, do the following:
- Select a database, right-click, and select Open.
- Select a database and click the Open toolbar button.
- DBArtisan opens the Database Manager.
Space Analyst for Sybase ASE - Device Overview
The device overview section contains a graphical and grid control that works in the following way:
- When the graph is displayed, a bar chart is shown that lists the total space used (in MB) of all devices defined to the server.
- When the grid is displayed, detailed storage information for each database device is presented:
- Device name
- Physical name
- Total space
- Used space
- Free space
- Percent free
- Percent used