Session 3: Identifying Storage Structure Problems in Space Analyst for Sybase ASE
Space Analyst can help you quickly find storage structure problems that threaten the availability of your database.
Pinpointing ‘out of space’ Problems Using Space Analyst for Sybase ASE
To quickly tell if any of the tablespaces in your database are about to run out of free space, do the following:
- Select the Storage Overview tab.
- In the Database Overview and Log Overview sections, position the pointer over the graph.
- Right-click and select Toggle Display.
Examine the Database Percent Free columns of each database and Log Percent Free for each transaction log. If a database or transaction log is nearing the end of free space and cannot automatically grow, then action should be taken to prevent an out-of-space error.
You can also obtain graphical views of databases and pertinent storage property information by viewing the Databases tab of Space Analyst. You can visually get a handle on the amounts of table, index, and free space of your databases and quickly view critical storage property facts such as the number of databases that cannot automatically grow in size if needed.
All the graphs can be toggled to grids by using the right mouse menu option of 'Toggle Display'. When in grid mode, very detailed information is available concerning database and transaction log space. Note that the graph is scrollable so you may have to scroll to see all your databases.
Using Analysis Reports in Space Analyst for Sybase ASE
You can run HTML-formatted reports that pinpoint all major storage-related problems for a particular tablespace and the objects that are contained within it. To produce an Analysis Report, do the following:
- On the toolbar, click Analysis Report.
- Space Analyst opens the Analysis Report dialog.
- In Report File Name and Report Title you can change the location and report title of the report.
- In Category, select the types of space problems you would like to investigate. The default option is All.
- In Database, select the database you would like to analyze.
- In File Group, select the filegroup level.
- Click Execute.
- Space Analyst creates a frame-based Analysis report for the database.