Automatic Naming Translation
To automatically use a Naming Standards Template to set a physical name from a logical and vice versa as names are modified in the Entity/Table and Attribute/Column Editors.
To enable this feature, go to Tools > Options > Name Handling tab in the group labeled In-Editor Naming Standards:
- Enable automatic naming translation.
- Checking this option enables this feature.
- Use entity/table NST for child translation.
- Checking this option enables the use of the NST (naming standards template) bound to the parent entity or table, if there is none bound to the attribute or column currently being edited.
To use this feature there must be a bound NST on the object OR there is a bound NST on the parent entity/table and the second option above is checked.
- Also required: The freeze name property is not checked.
- For attributes/columns, this only applies to the individual object. The freeze name property of the parent entity/table is ignored.
- You are editing a logical name in the logical model or a physical name in the physical model.
If the translation is enabled, then as the user types the name, the translated name appears in the other edit control. For example, if the user is editing an attribute in the logical model, then as the user enters the attribute name, the column name field is updated with a translated name. Or, if a user is editing the table name of a table in a physical model, then the entity name is set with the translated name.
Note: Name handling settings shown in Model Options are ignored when a name can be translated according to the prerequisites above. Otherwise, they are followed.