Creating and Editing StoGroups
A StoGroup is a set of volumes on direct access storage devices (DASD) that hold the data sets in which tables and indexes are stored. The CREATE STOGROUP statement creates a storage group on the current server. You can then allocate storage from the identified volumes for table and index spaces. Different parts of a single database can be stored in different StoGroups.
If a dataset reaches its maximum number of extents, any transaction that writes data to tables or indexes associated with that stogroup fails and the database can become inaccessible until more space is allocated to the stogroup. It is important to allocate sufficient storage for the database and to monitor its growth carefully. For information on capacity planning, see Planning for and Predicting Database Growth.
You can use stogroup you create to define storage for the index of an auxiliary table or a table, or storage for a tablespace. For more information, see Creating and Editing Auxiliary Tables, Defining Index Storage, and Creating and Editing Tablespaces.
The following database platforms support StoGroups:
- IBM DB2 for z/OS 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, and 11.x
- The StoGroups Wizard and StoGroups Editor share the same options, except for Attachment Bindings options which are present only in the editor.
Create a StoGroup
- In the Data Model Explorer, expand the Physical Main Model, right-click the Entities node, and then click New Stogroup.
- Complete the StoGroup Wizard and then click Finish to create the stogroup.
- Once you have created the stogroup, you can edit it by right-clicking the stogroup you want to change, and then clicking Edit StoGroup.
The following help you complete the StoGroup Wizard options:
What is the name of the Stogroup? The stogroup name must identify a storage group that does not yet exist at the current server.
- VCAT: Specify the integrated catalog facility catalog for the storage group. Specify an alias if the name of the VCAT is longer than 8 characters.
- Enter the volumes to include in the Stogroup, separated by commas: Includes the specified volumes in the StoGroup. To include all volumes in the stogroup, enter an asterisk (*).
Enter or edit a definition for the stogroup. If the target database supports it, ER/Studio Data Architect adds this definition as a comment when generating SQL code.
Displays the CREATE STOGROUP statement needed to build the stogroup.ER/Studio Data Architect uses the platform-specific parser of the model's selected database platform to generate the stogroup.
Attachment Bindings tab
Bind an external piece of information, or attachment to the stogroup. You can also remove an attachment from an object, override an attachment binding's default value, or change the position of a bound attachment. To override the value of the attachment you have moved to the Selected Attachments grid, double-click the Value field of the target attachment. ER/Studio Data Architect opens the Value Override Editor or a list depending on the attachment datatype. Attachments are created in the Attachments folder of the Data Dictionary. For more information, see Attaching External Documents to the Data Model.