Documenting Column/Attribute ETL
Go Up to Data Lineage Workflow
At the column/attribute level, you can document how data is transformed as it moves from one system to another, by adding transformation logic for source/target attribute mapping. You can map multiple source/targets to one column/attribute in the physical/logical model.
You can register the same source/target or physical model more than once for a given physical model. For example, in the Adventure Works.dm1 model, you can register the Adventure Works physical model to the Adventure Works DW physical model as a direct source AND direct target if the data warehouse is used for analytical reporting and to perform some data cleansing. Additionally, you can also register the Adventure Works physical model to the Adventure Works DW physical model as both a secondary source and direct source.
Document column/attribute data sources
- From the Data Model tab, navigate to and then double-click the table/entity whose data lineage you want to document.
- In the table/entity editor, select the column or attribute to document and then click the Data Lineage tab.
- Click the Direct Sources tab.
- Click Edit.
- In the Edit Source/Target Mappings dialog, select from the list of sources to map to your target and edit the transformation logic accordingly.
- A description is optional, but a very good engineering practice vital to maintainability.
- Continue in the same manner as above, to map secondary sources, and direct and secondary targets.
- Click OK to exit the editor.