Tutorials: Getting Started
Go Up to Introduction
ER/Studio Data Architect has an enhanced user interface that is similar to Microsoft Windows with intuitive icons.
The graphic below names and describes the functionality of some key elements of the ER/Studio Data Architect user interface.
For information on enhanced UI features, please see the corresponding numbers below or mouseover the image:
- Sophisticated diagram auto-layout tools provide single-click clean-up of diagram objects.
- Data Model Explorer displays information about logical and physical models, submodels, and nested submodels.
- Repository object status icons display real-time user access information.
- Complex schema objects like functions can be displayed to illustrate dependencies.
- Toolbars are dockable anywhere in the ER Studio DA application window.
- The Overview Window lets you navigate large Data Models.
- The Zoom Window helps you focus on the details of a specific area of a large, reduced diagram.
Starting to Data Model with ER/Studio Data Architect
On the Windows Start > Programs menu, choose IDERA > ER/Studio Data Architect.
- Choose File > New > Draw a new data model.
As you can see in the Create a New Model dialog, there are a number of ways to begin modeling with ER/Studio Data Architect:
- Build a new design from the ground up by drawing a new data model.
- Build a data model from an existing database through live reverse engineering.
- Import designs from other modeling products such as ERwin or SQL files.
- Ensure Relational is selected for the new model type and then click OK.
After selecting Draw a new data model and clicking OK, ER/Studio Data Architect will resemble the image below: