Working with Data Dictionaries in the Repository
Go Up to Working with ERStudio Repository
Enterprise Data Dictionaries (EDD) lets you share a single data dictionary amongst multiple diagrams in the same Repository. Instead of being stored in a particular DM1 file, an EDD is stored in the Repository, and bound to the DM1 files that use it. A change made to an EDD propagates to any DM1 to which dictionary is bound.
You can have multiple dictionaries per diagram. This means that you can have one all-encompassing dictionary or project-level dictionaries.
Tip: It is a good idea to check in the Enterprise Data Dictionary after adding new objects. Otherwise, other users will not be able to use them or the current diagram will not check in successfully if the new dictionary objects have been used.
The following items are included in this section:
- Determining Where an Enterprise Data Dictionary is Used
- Creating an Enterprise Data Dictionary
- Associating a Data Dictionary with a Diagram
- Unbinding an Enterprise Data Dictionary from a Diagram
- Checking out the Data Dictionary
- Checking in the Data Dictionary
- Undoing a Data Dictionary Check Out
- Redoing a Data Dictionary Redo Check Out
- Associating the Enterprise Data Dictionary with Repository Diagrams
- Retrieving an Enterprise Data Dictionary