Preparing Files for Remote Debugging
Go Up to Debugging Applications Index
Executable files and symbol files must be copied to the remote machine after they are compiled. You must set the correct options on your local machine in order to generate these files.
To prepare files for debugging on a remote machine:
- Open the project on your local machine.
- For Delphi, choose Project > Options > Linking and ensure that the Include remote debug symbols option is checked. This directs the compiler to generate a symbol file. The following extensions are used in symbol files (for Delphi projects):
|Language||Debug symbol file extension|
Delphi Note: It is also important to remember when setting your project's compiler and linker options, that Optimization should be turned off, and Stack Frames turned on (on the Compiling page), just as when you are debugging locally. To verify that compiler and linker options are set correctly for debugging, open the Project Manager, double-click the Debug build configuration to select the Debug build, and then right-click Edit .
- Compile the project on your local machine.
- Copy the executable files and symbol files for the project to the remote machine.
- Choose Run > Load Process .
- Specify the directory into which you copied the symbol files in the Debug symbols search path field.
- Click OK.