Migrating VCL Applications to Cross-Platform
Go Up to Cross-Platform Applications
Migrating 32-bit VCL Applications to 64-bit Windows
The VCL is supported on the 64-bit Windows platform. See:
- Converting 32-bit Delphi Applications to 64-bit Windows
- 64-bit Cross-Platform Application Development for Windows
"Migrating" VCL Applications to the Mac
The VCL is not supported on the Mac OS X platform, so a VCL application has no direct migration path to the Mac or to FireMonkey.
If you have a VCL application that you want to migrate to the Mac OS X platform, you start by creating either a cross-platform console application or a FireMonkey application, as described in the following steps:
- Create either:
- A console application, which can use the Run-Time Library, but not the VCL.
- A FireMonkey application.
- Install and run the Platform Assistant on the Mac.
- Create a remote profile on the development system to describe the target platform (Mac OS X).
- Redesign your Windows application with the requirements of the target platform in mind.
- For example, you cannot use any Windows function calls in an application for the Mac.
- If you want to re-use the logic in your original application, refactor your Windows application and cut & paste sections of the code into the new application.
- Debug your cross-platform application.
- Compile and build your application.