Release Notes for XE2 Update 3
This file contains important supplementary information that might not appear in the main product documentation. Embarcadero Technologies recommends that you read this file in its entirety.
This document refers to "the product" when the information applies to RAD Studio XE2 or to either or both of the two personalities: Delphi XE2 and C++Builder XE2.
For general information about installation, deployment, and licensing, see the Install, Deploy, and License files located, by default, at C:\Program Files\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0. On a 64-bit Windows system, the directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0.
Obtaining this Update
Delphi and C++Builder XE2 Update 3 is an MSI-based patch. This update can be applied over any of the following products:
- Delphi XE2 with Update 1 or 2
- C++Builder XE2 with Update 1 or 2
- RAD Studio XE2 with Update 1 or 2
You can obtain this update in any of the following three ways:
- Upgrading via the Automatic Upgrade Mechanism
- Manually Checking for Updates
- Downloading from the Registered Users Web Page
Upgrading via the Automatic Upgrade Mechanism
If you selected "Check for Updates Automatically" when you installed the product, you should automatically be notified when an update is available for download.
Click the notification and follow the instructions to download and install the Update.
Manually Checking for Updates
If you do not receive an automatic notification about the update, you can check for updates manually:
- Select Start | Programs | Embarcadero RAD Studio XE2 | Check for updates.
- In the list of available updates, select RAD Studio XE2 Update 3.
- Follow the instructions for installation.
Downloading from the Registered Users Web Page
Update 3 is also available for download from the registered users download pages as follows:
- Delphi XE2: http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/delphi
- C++Builder XE2: http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/c_builder
- RAD Studio XE2: http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/rad_studio
Download <RADStudioXE2Update3.zip> to your computer and extract the zip file. Then follow the instructions to install the update.
Instructions for Installation and Contents of Update 3
Installing the XE2 Update 3
- Extract and install: When you open Update 3, the update is immediately extracted to your %TEMP% folder, and installation of the update follows automatically. Note: This update process might take one hour or more to complete. You should avoid stopping the Update installation once it has started.
- Install PAServer and FireMonkey-iOS updates: After the update is extracted and installed, Windows Explorer appears, displaying the following three folders. Each folder contains items that you should potentially install or extract by following the instructions given after the table:
Contents of the XE2 Update 3
The Update 3 installer runs automatically when you open the update itself.
Contains updated Platform Assistant files (including PAserver.exe). The Update 3 installer does not install these files for you. See Installing the Platform Assistant Update.
Contains an updated FireMonkey-iOS disk image (FireMonkey-iOS.dmg), which contains the updated FireMonkey-iOS-XE2 installer. The Update 3 installer does not install these files for you. See Installing the FireMonkey iOS Tools Update.
Note: During the Update 3 patch install, you might see an error message stating "Insufficient privileges to modify bds.exe...". If so, click Retry, and the update install will continue.
Installing the Platform Assistant Update
To uninstall the Platform Assistant:
- On Windows, use the existing Uninstall PAServer.exe to uninstall the Platform Assistant.
- On the Mac, use the existing Uninstall command to uninstall the Platform Assistant.
Note: The Uninstall programs are located in the installation directory for the Platform Assistant on the PC and on the Mac.
To install the updated Platform Assistant:
- On Windows, double-click PAServer.exe.
- On the Mac, move the PAServer.zip file to the Mac and double-click PAServer.zip.
Installing the FireMonkey iOS Tools Update
To install the updated FireMonkey-iOS tools:
- Transfer the FireMonkey-iOS.dmg disk image file to the Mac.
- Double-click FireMonkey-iOS.dmg.
- Run the installer inside each package.
There is no uninstall required. If you previously installed the FireMonkey iOS tools, you should run the new installer for this update.
For more information about FireMonkey iOS, see:
- Installation Notes for XE2#FireMonkey iOS Requirements
- Installation Notes for XE2#Reinstalling iOS Tools Is Required with XE2 Update 1
- FireMonkey Platform Prerequisites
- FireMonkey Development Setup for iOS
Note: This installer is now compatible with Xcode 4.2. Note that while Xcode 4.2 includes the iOS 5.0 SDK, the new features of iOS 5 are not supported. FireMonkey applications can be deployed to devices running iOS 5.
Uninstalling this Update
If you need to uninstall the update, you must uninstall the entire product and reinstall a full build. It is not possible to uninstall only the update.
Known Installation Issue
After applying an Update patch, an MSI Repair/Modify might not properly restore your files to the patched install, and some files might be missing. In this situation, you should uninstall and reinstall the product. We recommend that you download an ISO from the registered users' Web page, such as http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/rad_studio
For a complete list of the specific problems fixed in this update, see the "List of Bug Fixes in Delphi and C++Builder XE2 Update 3" at: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/41831/
A new style has been added for FireMonkey: Light.Style.
In addtion, the iOS.Style has been modified to be compliant with iOS UI guidelines. iOS.Style is the default style for FireMonkey iOS apps. See Creating a FireMonkey iOS App.
The FireMonkey styles that are provided with the product are located in C:\Program Files\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0\Redist\styles\Fmx.
For more information about FireMonkey styles, see Customizing FireMonkey Applications with Styles.
C++ Applications that Do Not Use VCL Forms Should Not #include <vcl.h>
That is, applications (such as console, database, or Web/SOAP applications) that do not use the GUI elements of the Visual Control Library (VCL) should not specify:
The <vcl.h> header includes all of the VCL Forms library, as well as the Delphi RTL.
- Include the appropriate unit that declares the types and API you want to use. For example:
For more information, see Using Include Files.
In previous versions of C++Builder, the wizards, code examples, and application samples often used <vcl.h> as an easy way to access functionality exposed by the Delphi RTL package. However, C++Builder XE2 (and newer versions) must be able to distinguigh among UI frameworks (VCL vs FMX) and Target Platforms (Windows vs OSX).
Therefore, we recommend that you update all non-VCL code that includes vcl.h to instead include the appropriate header from the RTL, SOAP, Database, or other specific package. You can implement this by creating a precompiled header that includes the RTL headers required by your code. You might create, for example, <myheaders.h> that in turn includes the various RTL headers such as Classes.hpp, SysUtils.hpp, and so forth.
Changes to ModalResult Values for TButton (both VCL and FMX)
In addition, four of the existing ModalResult values changed for VCL TButton. If your applications use any of these four ModalResult values for TButton, you might need to make code changes. That is, the values have changed for mrClose, mrAll, mrNoToAll and mrYesToAll. Since the values are stored as numbers in .dfm files, the values change when you migrate a project to XE2.
The ModalResult values have changed as follows:
- Before XE2:
- In XE2:
Thus the results are as follows:
|XE Modal Result||XE2 Modal Result|
For complete information and solutions, see "XE2 values of mrAll, mrNoToAll, mrYesToAll and mrClose" at http://www.bobswart.nl/Weblog/Blog.aspx?RootId=5:5029.
Update Your Samples Using Subversion -- Samples Are Not Updated When You Install the Update
The application samples that are delivered in the product are not updated during the patch install. However, you can get the latest samples any time by doing a Subversion Update on the Samples directory.
To open the Samples directory, do either of the following:
- Select Start | Embarcadero RAD Studio | Samples
- Go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\9.0\Samples
IDE Fix Pack Is Not Compatible with Update 3
The IDE Fix Pack for XE2 is incompatible with XE2 Update 3. If you have the IDE Fix Pack for XE2, you should uninstall the IDE Fix Pack for XE2 before installing Update 3. A revised version of the IDE Fix Pack for XE2 will be made available at http://andy.jgknet.de/fixpack/ .
Copyright 2011 Embarcadero Technologies. All rights reserved.