Generating Sequence Diagrams
Go Up to Interaction Diagram Procedures Index
This feature is available for implementation projects only.
This topic provides instructions for generating sequence diagrams for your source code. Sequence diagrams detail how methods are implemented in the source code: what messages are sent to which objects and when. Sequence diagrams are organized according to time. The objects involved in the method are listed from left to right according to when they take part in the message sequence.
To generate a sequence diagram for a method
- In the Diagram or Model view, locate the desired class and select the method.
- Right-click the method and choose Generate Sequence Diagram. The Generate Sequence Diagram dialog box opens.
- Select the namespaces and classes that you want to display in the diagram. All namespaces and classes are selected by default. However, some may not be relevant. You can increase the meaningfulness of the generated diagram by removing anything that does not make the sequence of operations clearer.
- Select the required options.
- Click OK to generate the diagram. The sequence diagram opens in the Diagram View.