What's New in Delphi and C++Builder XE2
Go Up to What Was New in Past Releases
Note: This document describes a past release.
This release provides key new features for developing applications using both Delphi and C++Builder.
Summary of the XE2 Release
Key features of the XE2 release are:
- FireMonkey Application Platform for cross-platform applications that run on Windows (both 32- and 64-bit), Mac OS X, and iOS.
- VCL supports 64-bit Windows and 32-bit Windows
- The Delphi RTL now supports Mac OS X and both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
- Cross-platform application development
- Mac OS X Application Development
- 64-bit Windows Cross-Platform Application Development (for Delphi only)
- Delphi 64-bit cross compiler (DCC64.EXE, the Delphi 64-bit Command Line Compiler)
- Platform Assistant (PAServer) required for cross-platform development
- DataSnap Connectors for Mobile Devices (Android, Blackberry, iOS, and Windows Phone)
- LiveBindings in RAD Studio, the new data binding feature that simplifies your programming work with VCL and FMX
Important: VCL-FMX-RTL units now use a dotted-prefix naming convention, such as
Vcl.Styles. If you have existing code that uses qualified identifiers (such as
Types.IStream), code changes may be required in order to compile.
Note: The wizards and templates in RAD Studio automatically insert the properly unit-scoped unit names in uses and includes. However, be aware that in the help for the VCL-FMX-RTL Libraries, the unit scope does not appear in any names of units, classes, and members. Updating the documentation to show the the unit scope names will happen in a help update.
For more information, see:
When you open a pre-existing project in XE2, the Project Upgrade Required dialog box prompts you to choose conversion options for your project (convert and rename, convert and create a backup, or convert in place). For more information, see: