Overview of the Diagram Synchronization Process
Go Up to Overview of Data Synchronization
When you the synchronization process happens, Team Server uses a separate Java Virtual Machine (JVM) invocation for the synchronization process.
When the synchronization process starts, Team Server detects which diagrams in ER/Studio Repository have changed since the last synchronization. Team Server selects those diagrams and spawns another instance of a JVM for each diagram. This allows diagrams to be processed one at a time so that access to a particular diagram becomes available within the portal as soon as possible.
Extracting Diagrams from ER/Studio Repository
Team Server follows these steps to extract each selected diagram:
- Note: If diagram extraction takes longer than three hours, Team Server presumes an error has occurred and terminates the extraction.
- Uses the
RepoGetDiagramfunction to download the DM1 file from ER/Studio Repository.
- Creates an XML file containing the latest data for all in-scope objects in the diagram.
- Creates a JPEG image file for each submodel in the diagram.
- Note: Images are stored in the Team Server web server, not in the Reporting Repository database, so that you can access them from the model and submodel the model and submodel detail reports.
The extraction of data from ER/Studio Repository relies on invoking ERSTUDIO.EXE , or its equivalent, to access the ER/Studio object API. During the data extraction, object metadata is output in XML format by using Microsoft’s XML v6 parser.
Loading the Diagrams Data Back into Team Server
Diagrams of the Team Server Reporting Repository are stored in XML files on the Team Server web server.
Team Server follows these steps to process each diagram and update its data with the new data from ER/Studio Repository:
- Removes all the current data, if any, in the Reporting Repository database for that diagram. This includes purging the submodel image files on the server and the properties from the search index.
- Populates the appropriate table(s) for each object.
- Populates the search index as appropriate for each text field that is searchable. By default, all text properties are searchable, but you can exclude ER object types and properties from being processed.
- Archives the diagram XML files to a backup folder.