Creating SQL Statements for Update Components
To update a record in an associated dataset, an update object uses one of three SQL statements. The four SQL statements delete, insert, refresh, and modify records cached for update. The statements are contained in the update object’s string list properties
ModifySQL. As each update object is used to update a single table, the object’s update statements each reference the same base table.
As the update for each record is applied, one of the four SQL statements is executed against the base table updated. Which SQL statement is executed depends on the
UpdateKind parameter automatically generated for each record’s update.
Creating the SQL statements for update objects can be done at design time or at runtime. The sections that follow describe the process of creating update SQL statements in greater detail.
- Creating SQL Statements at Design Time
- Understanding Parameter Substitution in Update SQL Statements
- Composing Update SQL Statements
- Using an Update Component’s Query Property
- Using the DeleteSQL, InsertSQL, ModifySQL, and RefreshSQL Properties