Release Notes for XE8 Update 1
XE8 Update 1 includes:
- Delphi XE8 Update 1
- C++Builder XE8 Update 1
- RAD Studio XE8 Update 1
- Updated online help
These release notes contain important supplementary information that might not appear in the main product documentation. We recommend that you read the release notes in entirety.
This document refers to "the product" when the information applies to RAD Studio XE8, or to either or both of the two personalities: Delphi XE8 and C++Builder XE8.
For general information about installation, deployment, and licensing, see the Install, Deploy, and License files located, by default, at C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\16.0.
- 1 XE8 Update 1 Types
- 2 Obtaining this Update
- 3 Instructions for Installation
- 4 Contents of XE8 Update 1
- 5 See Also
XE8 Update 1 Types
There are two types of XE8 Update 1, Subscription and General. The update you can install depends on whether you have an active update subscription:
- XE8 Subscription Update 1: provided to active update subscription customers.
- XE8 General Update 1: provided to XE8 customers without an update subscription.
Note: If you have an update subscription, you must install the Subscription Update 1. If you do not have an update subscription, you cannot install the Subscription Update 1; therefore, you must install the General Update 1.
Obtaining this Update
Delphi and C++Builder XE8 Update 1 is available as an MSI installer. For instructions on installing the update, see Instructions for Installation.
This update applies to the following products:
- Delphi XE8
- C++Builder XE8
- RAD Studio XE8
An ISO consisting of the full Subscription Update 1 install is also available from the Registered Users Web Page.
Downloading from the Registered Users Web Page
The update is available for download from the registered users download pages as follows:
- Delphi XE8: http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/delphi
- C++Builder XE8 : http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/c_builder
- RAD Studio XE8: http://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/rad_studio
Download the executable installer that installs the update. The steps to follow for installation are given in Instructions for Installation.
Instructions for Installation
Verify the Disk Space Required for Installation Process and Product Footprint
Before you start the installation, you should ensure that your development system has sufficient free disk space to allow caching and copying files during the installation and to accommodate the product footprint when installed. Together, the product install and the product footprint might require free disk space between:
- 30 GB of free space (for Delphi-only Professional SKU)
- 50 GB of free space (for studio SKU with mobile)
Installing XE8 Update 1
|Update 1 Type||Subscription Update 1||General Update 1|
|Who can install this update||Customers with active update subscription.||XE8 customers without an update subscription.|
|How to install the update||Uninstall the current XE8 installation, and install XE8 Update 1.||Install the hotfix installer over the current XE8 installation.|
|Where to download the update from||Subscription Update 1: radstudio_xe8_upd1_subscription.exe
||General Update 1: delphicbuilder_xe8_update1_general.exe|
- Warning: Do not download the wrong update installer, please follow the instructions in the above table carefully.
- Warning: If you are installing the Subscription Update 1, you need to uninstall XE8, and then run the installer for Subscription Update 1.
Installing the ISO
Installing the Subscription XE8 Update 1 ISO
If you downloaded the ISO for XE8 Update 1, then you must do the following:
- If you have XE8 installed, first you need to uninstall XE8.
- Mount the ISO and run <install_RADStudio.exe> to start the installation.
Installing the Platform Assistant Update
The Platform Assistant server is required for cross-platform application development that targets either Mac OS X or iOS (the iOS simulator or iOS device). The XE8 Subscription Update 1 install contains new versions of the Platform Assistant installers (including setup_paserver.exe and PAServer16.0.pkg). The installer files are located in the PAServer folder.
- Warning: Customers using the General Update 1 do not need to update the PAServer.
To uninstall the Platform Assistant:
- On the Mac, it is not necessary to uninstall the Platform Assistant, but you can use the "Move to Trash" command if you want to remove the previous version.
- On Windows, use Uninstall PAServer.exe to uninstall the Platform Assistant (recommended). The Uninstall program is located in the installation directory for the Platform Assistant.
- (Several versions of the Platform Assistant can coexist on a system, as long as you run each version on a different port.)
To install the updated Platform Assistant and the PAServer Manager:
You have two choices:
- If you are installing XE8 Subscription Update 1, you can use the installer files that are downloaded to the PAServer folder.
- In any case, you can use the standard URLs for obtaining and running the PAServer installer for Mac OS X as follows:
- Download PAServer16.0.pkg to a directory on the Mac, and double-click the
- This installs both PAServer 16.0.app and PAServer Manager.app.
For more information, see:
- PAServer, the Platform Assistant Server Application
Contents of XE8 Update 1
Many bug fixes are included for XE8. XE8 Update 1 also includes an update of the online help. The help is installed by default during installation of the update.
Fix List for XE8 Update 1
For a complete list of the specific problems fixed in this update, see "Fix list for Update 1 for RAD Studio XE8, Delphi XE8 and C++Builder XE8": http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/44470
Copyright 2015 Embarcadero Technologies. All rights reserved.