Session 2: Obtaining a Global View of Storage Using Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows
When it opens, Space Analyst shows a complete overview of the storage situation of a particular database or database server. The first tab of Space Analyst displays all pertinent global statistics regarding storage structure usage throughout a database.
There are four distinct sections displayed on the first Storage Overview tab of Space Analyst:
- 1 Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows - Storage Overview
- 2 Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows -Tablespace Space Overview
- 3 Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows - Log Overview
- 4 Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows -Tablespace Objects Overview
Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows - Storage Overview
The breakdown of space usage of the allocated tablespace space, by index, table and temp data is shown in this section. You can also see the total number of tablespaces and the number SMS and DMS spaces here.
- Note: Make sure your database object statistics are up to date. Space analyst uses these statistics in the various graphs and grids.
Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows -Tablespace Space Overview
The Tablespace Space Overview section displays summary information regarding every tablespace on the database. When invoked in graph form, this section shows how much total space is allocated to each tablespace. When shown in grid form, this section shows not only the total allocated for each tablespace, but also includes information such as used space, free space, state, number of containers etc.
- Tip: To see a grid-style display of the information shown in the graph, position your mouse over the graph, click the right mouse button and select the ‘toggle display’ option. To return to the graph, just perform the same actions over the grid.
When this section is in grid form, you can also perform a number of actions on a tablespace like open it in a DBArtisan editor, extract its DDL, update its object statistics and more. For example, if you want to update the statistics on all tables in a tablespace, you would perform the following:
- Select a tablespace in a grid.
- Right-click the tablespace, and select Update Statistics.
- On the Space Analyst toolbar click the Update Statistics.
Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows - Log Overview
The log overview provides a quick glance into database transaction log usage. This section shows the percentage of used and free log space for the database, the various database configuration parameters associated with the log space and the high watermarks for the log space usage.
Space Analyst for IBM DB2 for Linux, Unix, and Windows -Tablespace Objects Overview
The tablespace objects overview section provides an overview of how much space is used by the tables and indexes on each tablespace.