- Outlines provide powerful functionality. The functionality is enabled efficiently and easily with DB Optimizer.
- How many people use them? – probably not that many but I think that is due to the difficulty of implementing them, but DB Optimizer solves the difficulty problem by make then easy to implement.
- Basically there are 3 kinds of Oracle shops
- 1. Never use hints as a policy
- 2. Use hints on their own apps
- 3. Want to use hints but don’t have access to the SQL code
- Using hints or not is almost a religious argument - there is probably truth on both sides.
- For the second case, the user can use hints directly in the code, but sometimes it’s just faster and easier to use an outline when given a product like DB Optimizer. In a matter of seconds DB Optimizer can put a hint in place on a live system via hints where a code change might take days or weeks.
- For the third case, outlines can be a life saver. If the customer has a bad query in a 3rd party application and they know a hint will solve everything but they can’t touch the code, then it can be terribly frustrating situation. Outlines solve this case.