Installing, Starting, and Stopping the Remote Debug Server
This topic describes how to install, start, and stop the old-style remote debugger.
Remote debugging lets you debug a RAD Studio application running on a remote computer. Once the remote debug server is running on the remote computer, you can use RAD Studio to connect to that computer and begin debugging.
Prerequisites and security considerations for remote debugging
- The local and remote computers must be connected through TCP/IP.
- All of the files required for debugging the application must be available on the remote computer before you begin debugging. This includes executables, DLLs, assemblies, data files, and TDS (debug) files.
- In addition to the port that the remote debug server listens on, a connection is opened for each application that is being debugged. Additional port numbers are chosen dynamically by Windows; a firewall that only allows connections to the listening port will prevent the remote debugger from working.
To install and start the remote debug server
- If RAD Studio is installed on the remote computer, skip to step 3. In this case, the remote debug server (rmtdbg260.exe) is already available, by default, at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\Bin.
- Follow the directions for Installing a Debugger on a Remote Machine.
- On the remote computer, run rmtdbg260.exe using the following syntax:
rmtdbg260.exe [-listen [hostname:]port]
hostnameis an optional host name or TCP/IP address for binding to a particular host, for example, somehost or 127.0.0.1. If you specify hostname, you must also specify
portis an optional (required if hostname is specified) port number or standard protocol name, for example, 8000 or ftp. If omitted, 64447 is used as the port number.
rmtdbg160.exe -listen 8000
rmtdbg160.exe -listen somehost:8000
rmtdbg160.exe -listen 127.0.0.1:8000
To shut down the remote debug server
- On the remote computer, in the Windows taskbar, right-click the Embarcadero Remote Debugger Listener icon.
- In the shortcut menu, choose Exit.
Shutting down the remote debug server does not affect active debugging sessions.