Settings Migration Tool
Go Up to Graphic Utilities Index
The Settings Migration Tool is an application to import and export configuration settings of RAD Studio and Appmethod.
Use this tool to import and export settings between different RAD Studio versions and even to migrate the configuration settings to other instances of RAD Studio installed on different machines. You can also migrate settings between RAD Studio and Appmethod.
The Settings Migration Tool supports Delphi 7 and all newer versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder. RAD Studio versions released before Delphi 7 are not officially supported. You can migrate the configuration settings from a RAD Studio version to the same or newer version, but not to previous RAD Studio versions; backward compatibility is not provided.
Using the Settings Migration Tool
You can find the migrationtool.exe tool at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin
- Windows Start Menu: Start | All Programs | Embarcadero RAD Studio Rio | Migration Tool
When you run migrationtool.exe, you see a wizard that guides you through the export or import.
The first step of the wizard offers four different options:
- Export settings to a migration file: Choose this option to export the configuration settings to an XML file.
- When you export the configuration settings, the migration tool reads the configuration from the registry and generates an XML file with
- Migrate settings to a newer product version: Choose this option to migrate the configuration settings directly to a newer RAD Studio version installed on the same machine.
- When you migrate the configuration settings directly to another RAD Studio version installed on the same machine, the settings are exported from the older RAD Studio version and imported to the newer RAD Studio version.
- Restore settings from backup: Choose this option to restore previously backed up settings.
- Note: This option is only enabled when there is a backup available, backups are automatically created when importing, migrating or restoring settings with the Migration Tool.
- Import settings from a migration file: Choose this option to import the XML file with
.idesettingsextension with the configuration settings.
- When you import, the migration tool reads the XML file with
.idesettingsextension and apply the settings contained in the XML to the indicated RAD Studio version.
Note: Be aware when importing, since the current settings will be overridden. To avoid losing any settings, RAD Studio automatically creates a backup before the settings are overridden.
Settings you Can Import and Export
Use the migration tool to import and export RAD Studio settings included in the registry keys.
The migration tool imports and exports the keys available in
- Note: You can also import or export settings from an alternative registry key.
Running the Settings Migration with an Alternate Registry Key
You can start the IDE with different options using the command line. One of these options allows you to use an alternate registry key. Using an alternate base registry key allows you to run two copies of the IDE using different configurations.
To start the IDE with an alternate registry key, use the following command:
bds.exe –r regkey_name
regkey_name is the name, you want to provide to your alternate registry key.
Starting the RAD Studio with the above command creates a new registry key:
The Settings Migration Tool allows you to import and export settings from your alternate registry keys. To open the Settings Migration Tool to import or export from an alternate registry key, use the
-r parameter as follows:
migrationtool –r regkey_name
regkey_name is the name of the alternate registry key, you want to import or export from.
- Note: Running the migration tool with the
regkey_nameparameter means that the tool only has access to that particular key within the registry.
Taking the Settings Migration Tool to Another Computer
Since the Settings Migration Tool can be used in different RAD Studio versions, you can take the tool to another computer to use it in previous RAD Studio versions. The versions supported are Delphi 7 and any later version.
The Settings Migration Tool can run on Windows XP or later.
To take the migration tool to another computer to use it with previous RAD Studio versions:
- Go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin
- Copy the following files:
migrationtool.exe: Executable of the tool.
SettingData.xml: Template used to export the data.
migrationtool.de: German translation of the tool text.
migrationtool.fr: French translation of the tool text.
migrationtool.ja: Japanese translation of the tool text.
- You need to have the above files together in the same folder for the migration tool to work on a different computer.
- Note: The migration tool does not provide backward compatibility; you can only migrate from older to the same or newer product versions.
Settings Migration Tool Topics
- Exporting Settings to a Migration File
- Migrating Settings to a Newer Product Version
- Restoring Settings from Backup
- Importing Settings from a Migration File