Using Tooltips During Debugging
Go Up to How To Use the Debugger
When you debug an application, you can display the values of members within a watched object whose type is a complex data object (such as a class, record, or array). These values display in the code editor window when you expand a watched object. Additionally, you can expand the elements within an object, displaying its sub-elements and their values. You can expand all levels in the object. Members are grouped by ancestor.
- Note: Tooltips are supported by all the Embarcadero debuggers.
To expand tooltips during debugging
- Create a new application or open an existing application.
- Choose Project > Options > Delphi Compiler > Compiling and verify that the Use debug DCUs option is selected.
- Choose Tools > Options > Editor Options > Code Insight and verify that the Tooltip expression evaluation option is selected.
- Choose Run > Step Over.
This opens the Code page of the main source file for the project.
Tip: Alternatively, press
- Choose Run > Step Over again. This initializes the project.
- Move the cursor over the Application keyword. This displays the tooltip in a single block.
- Click the + next to the Application keyword within the tooltip.
- The tooltip expands to a scrollable box that contains each child property and its value.
- The + appears next to each property that has one or more child properties.
- You can expand any member to display properties and values hierarchically within the tooltip.