Using Tooltips During Debugging
Go Up to Debugging Applications Index
When you debug an application, you can display the values of members within a watched object whose type is a complex data object (such as a class, record, or array). These values display in the code editor window when you expand a watched object. Additionally, you can expand the elements within an object, displaying its sub-elements and their values. You can expand all levels in the object. Members are grouped by ancestor.
To expand tooltips during debugging
- Create a new VCL for Win32 application or open an existing application.
- Choose Project > Options > Compiler and verify that the Use debug DCUs option is selected.
- Choose Tools > Options > Editor Options > Code Insight and verify that the Tooltip expression evaluation option is selected.
- Choose Run > Step Over .
Tip: Alternatively, pressThis opens the Code page of the main source file for the project.
- Choose Run > Step Over again.This initializes the project.
- Move the cursor over the Application keyword.This displays the tooltip in a single block.
- Click the + next to the Application keyword within the tooltip.The tooltip expands to a scrollable box that contains each child property and its value. The + appears next to each property that has one or more child properties. You can expand any member to display properties and values hierarchically within the tooltip.