External Data Object Update from ER/Studio DA Files
You can use the Update External Data Objects option to update an existing External Data Object data source that you have already imported. All existing objects that match an object you have selected will be updated. All objects that you have selected but are not in the existing data source will be brought in as new.
When updating existing elements the following occurs:
- Elements in the data source having corresponding objects in the import are updated with new information.
- Objects in the import without corresponding elements in the data source are added to the data source as new elements.
- Note: All links and diagram references to updated External Data Objects are still valid.
- 1 Choose File > Import > From ER/Studio Data Architect >External Data Objects > Update Existing... from the main menu.
- Right-click the External Data Objects node in the Model View tree and select Import > From ER/Studio Data Architect > Update Existing External Data Objects....
- 2 In the Location text box, specify the source of the external data objects.
- 3 Select the data source containing the existing elements to be updated.
- 4 You can select the “Delete objects in model that aren’t contained in source file.” If you enable this option, any objects in the target model that do not match an object that you select in the source model for update is deleted. If this option is not selected, (it is not selected by default), none of the objects in the target model are deleted.
- 5 Click Next and select the models to be updated in the Model Selection dialog.
- 6 Click Next and the Object Selection dialog opens. Select the entities, tables, and/or views from the Available Objects window, that you want included in the Selected list box.
- 7 Click Finish and an dialog opens telling you that the import was successful. Click Details... for information on what was imported. You can print or save this information.
- 8 Click OK and the updated objects appear in the External Data Objects node or the Data Source that you were updating.