Upgrading From Previous Versions
Go Up to Main Page
Important: The Repository installation is now part of Team Server and for the latest upgrade information, please see the Team Server wiki.
- Download the latest version of ER/Studio. To download the most current release, go to the Registered Products Portal.
- Review the ER/Studio ReadMe. For the most current installation and usage information, see the online version.
- In case you need to upgrade Team Server/Repository to match the features available in your version of ER/Studio Data Architect, see Upgrading Team Server and Repository.
WARNING: If you plan to use the sample macros, first make a copy of the samples, and then store the copy in a folder separate from the ER/Studio installation folder to avoid overwriting your custom macros when upgrading to later versions of ER/Studio. Make sure that you make changes only to the copy of the sample macros.
Note: This procedure is for ER/Studio Enterprise installations only, which include the Repository. When you upgrade ER/Studio Data Architect, you must also upgrade ER/Studio Repository to correspond with the same build date as ER/Studio Data Architect.
License Enforcement. When working with the Repository, all users must use the same license type. ER/Studio now enforces this by marking the Repository as an Enterprise Team Edition Repository when a user with an Enterprise Team Edition license logs in. Subsequent log in attempts by users with a non-Team Edition license will not be allowed.
Preparing to Upgrade the Repository
To prepare to upgrade the Repository:
- Ensure you have backed up all your .dm1 files.
- Check in all your diagrams and objects. If you try to check in a file from the previous version with the same name as a current file, the current file will become corrupted.
- Rename all local copies of Repository diagrams in the active file directory as follows:
- Choose Repository > Options.
- Make note of the Active File Directory.
- Switch to the Windows Explorer and rename all the diagrams in the Active File Directory. Alternatively you can create a backup folder and move all dm1 files into the backup folder.
- Always back up the Repository database before upgrading.
- You can install both the current version and an earlier version of ER/Studio Data Architect on the same workstation.