Installation Notes for Embarcadero Connect 3.0
- 1 Minimum Requirements
- 2 Conflicts
- 3 Prerequisites
- 4 Optional Features
- 5 Third-Party Software That Is Installed with Embarcadero Connect
- 6 Installing and Upgrading
- 7 After Installing
- 8 See Also
Embarcadero Connect is a 32-bit server application that runs in a Microsoft Windows environment. Before installing Embarcadero Connect, verify that your environment meets the hardware and operating system requirements.
The minimum hardware requirements are:
- CPU: 2 x 3.0 Ghz
- RAM: 4 GB
- Disk space: 680 MB for program installation. You will need additional space available for data storage, for example 100mb per diagram in the Repository.
Your machine must be running the Microsoft Windows operating system. The following versions of Microsoft Windows are supported:
- Microsoft Windows 2012 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2008 Server (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server (32-bit only)
- To install Embarcadero Connect on Windows 7, you need to run the installer in Windows XP or Windows Vista compatibility mode.
- If the SQL server is also running when installing on Windows 8, the instance needs to be part of the SQL server name. The services and protocols also need to be running or enabled as documented below for SQL Server 2014.
Embarcadero Connect works against an installation of ER/Studio Repository. Prior to installing Embarcadero Connect, you need a working installation of ER/Studio Repository. Embarcadero Connect supports versions 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5 of ER/Studio Repository.
If you have enough RAM for both applications, we recommend that you install Embarcadero Connect on the same machine where the ER/Studio Repository server is installed. Otherwise, the machine where you install Embarcadero Connect must have network access (over a local network or over the Internet) to the machine where ER/Studio Repository is running.
Supported Database Platforms
The Reporting Repository is the database that Embarcadero Connect uses to store the information that it gathers from the ER/Studio Repository. The Reporting Repository database also stores the reports from previous queries and the metadata they rely on.
The Reporting Repository database may run on any of the following database platforms:
- Oracle 9i, 10g, and 11g
- IBM DB2 UDB 8.x, 9.x and 10.x Server
- Note: Before installing Embarcadero Connect on the DB2 platform, you must first create the Reporting Repository database. Allocate 32K for the tablespace pagesize.
- Starting with CONNECT version 3.0.4, Unicode is supported. When installing DB2, UTF-8 should be selected when configuring your DB2 DB if Unicode support is required.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to 2014
Ensure that the database is set to case-insensitive, as case-sensitive is not supported. Also set the SQL Server Configuration Properties to allow SQL Server authentication. Embarcadero Connect only supports SQL Server Authentication.
When installing over SQL Server 2014 (any Operating System), use the SQL Server Configuration Manager and make sure that the following services are running:
SQL Server Agent
Also that following protocols are enabled:
We recommend that you put the Reporting Repository database on a separate machine from the one running the ER/Studio Repository database.
Supported Web Browsers
The following web browsers are tested to work with Embarcadero Connect. Other browsers may work, but are not officially supported:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (7.0 or later)
Do not install Embarcadero Connect on a system where ER/Studio Data Architect, ER/Studio Business Architect or a previous version of Embarcadero Connect is installed. If the Embarcadero Connect installer detects an installation of any of these applications, the installer asks you to uninstall these applications before you proceed.
There may be naming conflicts between the ER/Studio Repository and the Reporting Repository. If both repositories are installed on the same database server, you should use different schema owners.
To install Embarcadero Connect:
- The installation user account must have local administrative privileges.
- The ER/Studio Repository server and the database server to be used for the Embarcadero Connect Reporting repository must be running.
- In order to install, you need to create first an empty database for Embarcadero Connect, unless you already have a database and will be reinitializing it during the install.
Active Directory Users Support
The installation must include configuration of LDAP functionality to allow directory service users to log in to Embarcadero Connect. You can alternatively enable LDAP authentication after the installation.
SMTP server configuration must be done in order to fully support email notifications based on user activity. You can alternatively enable email support after the installation.
Third-Party Software That Is Installed with Embarcadero Connect
Embarcadero Connect depends on some third-party software that the Embarcadero Connect installation wizard installs automatically on your system. That third-party includes:
Installing and Upgrading
If you have installed a previous version of Embarcadero Connect (for example, any version of ER/Studio Portal), see Upgrading Embarcadero Connect.
After the installation is complete, you must synchronize the Embarcadero Connect database with the ER/Studio Repository database to ensure that it is up to date.
See Installing Embarcadero Connect, Next Steps for more information.