Using COM Wizards
RAD Studio provides wizards that help you create COM projects and COM objects. These wizards are available for both Delphi and C++ projects.
The following COM wizards are available in the list for File > New > Other > <personality> > ActiveX:
- Active Form
- Active Server Object
- ActiveX Control
- ActiveX Library (a command, not a wizard, and a prerequisite for most of the COM wizards)
- Automation Object
- COM Object
- COM+ Event Object
- COM+ Subscription Object
- Property Page (a command, not a wizard)
- Transactional Object
- Type Library
Two additional Multitier wizards are available from the File > New > Other > <personality> > Multitier list:
- Remote Data Module
- Transactional Data Module
To use a COM wizard:
- Choose File > New > Other. The New Items dialog box displays.
- In the Item Categories tree, click the ActiveX folder beneath your chosen personality, either C++Builder Projects or Delphi Projects.
- In the ActiveX folder, double-click ActiveX Library. This creates a Dynamic Link Library [DLL] project that you can use to host in-process ActiveX Objects.
- Choose File > New > Other again.
- Do either one of the following:
- To display the COM wizards, click the same ActiveX folder that you clicked in step 2.
- To display the multitier wizards, click the Multitier folder in your selected personality.
- Double-click the wizard that you want to use.
Note: To create a client application to interact with the server created by a COM wizard, use the Import Component Wizard or the TLIBIMP utility. If your application implements more than one COM object, you should specify the same instancing for all of them.