Current-User Registration for ActiveX Servers
Go Up to Creating Simple COM Servers Index
When you register an ActiveX server, you can choose to register it for all users or per-user (that is, for any user or for yourself as the current user). The Unregister command, however, unregisters for both "Current-User" and "All Users" simultaneously; there is no per-user unregistration in the IDE.
- Is useful if you are debugging or are using a PC for which you do not have Administrator rights.
- Enables you to deploy and register your COM servers on Windows 7 machines that have UAC enabled.
To register an ActiveX server for the current user only
- Create an ActiveX server.
- Choose Run > ActiveX Server > Register for Current User.
To unregister an ActiveX server
- Choose Run > ActiveX Server > Unregister.
- A single Unregister command unregisters the selected ActiveX server for both:
- The current user
- All users
Using TRegSvr to Unregister for the Current User
You can perform 'Current User' and 'All Users' registration and unregistration by using TRegSvr.exe, a command line tool that is delivered in the
\bin directory of your product installation.
Note: The IDE, being a 32-bit process, cannot register 64-bit in-proc/DLL servers (32-bit processes cannot load 64-bit DLLs). To register 64-bit in-proc servers, you must use the 64-bit version of TRegSvr.exe, located in $(BDS)\bin64\TRegSvr.exe.
To unregister for the current user
- On the command line, enter:
> tregsvr -c -u MyTypeLib.tlb
- Specifying the
-uoptions together unregisters the type library or DLL for the current user only.