Specifying the Provider using TLocalConnection or TConnectionBroker
Go Up to How To Perform Database Procedures
Client datasets are specialized datasets that hold all the data in memory. They use a provider to supply them with data and apply updates when they cache updates from a database server or another dataset, represent the data in an XML document, and store the data in the client portion of a multi-tiered application.
To specify the provider
- Choose File > New > Other. The New Items dialog appears.
- In the New Items dialog, select Delphi Projects and double-click VCL Forms Application. The Windows Designer displays.
- From the DataSnap category of the Tool Palette, drag a TConnectionBroker component to the form if the provider is on a remote application server.
- In the Object Inspector, set the ConnectionBroker property of your client dataset to the TConnectionBroker component to the form.
- From the DataSnap category of the Tool Palette, drag a TLocalConnection component to the form if the provider is in the same application as the client dataset.
- Set the RemoteServer property of your client dataset to the TLocalConnection component to the form.