Go Up to Graphic Utilities Index
This is a reference page about one of the tools required to install RAD Studio. For installation instructions, see Installation.
The Feature Installer is an installation wizard that lets you select an initial set of RAD Studio features to install, such as support for specific combinations of programming languages and target platforms, language support, or help resources.
During the installation process, the Installer starts the Feature Installer automatically. If you accidentally close the Feature Installer, open RAD Studio and select Tools > Manage Platforms to open it again.
During the installation process, you must have a working internet connection to download content required to install the selected features.
After you install RAD Studio, you can install additional features or remove installed features using the Feature Manager.
Platform Selection Page
This page shows:
- A list of supported combinations of programming languages and target platforms. Windows 32-bit and iOS are checked by default but you can select any combination of platforms that you want to install; you can install additional combinations later using the Feature Manager.
- Three fields on the bottom-left corner, Estimated Download Size, Estimated Download Time, and Estimated Required Space, which show download estimations for the selected features. For more information about the estimated required space, see Estimated Required Space.
- A Continue button on the bottom-right corner. Select Continue to open the RAD Studio Additional Selection page.
Estimated Required Space
The Feature Installer calculates the required space for the installation, depending on your selection. The calculation includes the following:
- Disk space needed for the downloaded files.
- Disk space needed for extraction of downloaded files.
- Disk space needed for the instalation.
The Feature Installer uses the following directories:
- The Temp folder for downloaded files (default location is
%PUBLIC%documents folder for the extraction of downloaded files (default location is
- The directory that you choose in the Options Page of the Installer for the installation (default is Program Files).
If you choose a disk/partition for the installation that is not the same disk/partition where the Temp and the
%PUBLIC% documents folders are located, the installer may not detect a problem even if you do not have sufficent space on the latter. That is because the Feature Installer uses the disk/partition that you choose in the Options Page of the Installer as a base for the calculation of estimated required disk space.
If you have insufficent space on the disk/partition where the Temp and the
%PUBLIC% documents folders are located, you may need change the location of those folders. See Change location of TEMP files folder to another drive and How can I move default location of Public folders to a new drive? for more information.
Additional Selection Page
The Additional Selection page allows you to select additional features to include in your initial RAD Studio installation.
This page shows:
- A tree of optional features: language support, sample applications, offline help, and optional additional software. You can check any feature to include it in your initial installation of RAD Studio.
- Three fields on the bottom-left corner, Estimated Download Size, Estimated Download Time, and Estimated Required Space, which show download estimations for the selected features (including features selected on the Platform Selection page).
- Two buttons on the bottom of the page:
- An Install button on the bottom-right corner. Press Install to start the installation of the selected features.
- A Back button to return to the Platform Selection page.
The Android development tools appear after selecting an Android platform in the Platform Selection page:
Operation Progress Page
The Operation Progress page shows the progress of the installation.
Installing RAD Studio features requires the download, extraction, and installation of several items. This page of the installer shows information about the installation of these items:
- At the top of the page, you can see the item that the installer is currently processing.
- At the bottom of the page, you can see two progress bars:
- The progress bar at the top shows the progress of the current download, extraction, or installation process of the item that the installer is currently processing.
- The progress bar at the bottom shows the overall progress of the installation.
- A Cancel button at the bottom of the page. Click Cancel to cancel the installation process.
Operation Complete Page
The Operation Complete page informs you that the operation was successful.
At the bottom of this page there is a Start Working button. When you click Start Working, the installer starts or restarts RAD Studio.
If any of the file types that RAD Studio supports is currently associated with a different application, when RAD Studio opens it shows a dialog box similar to the File Association options page where you can select which ones of those file types you want to associate with RAD Studio.
Operation Canceled Page
The Operation Canceled page appears when the installation is canceled by the user.
Click Retry to continue the installation or Close to exit the Feature Installer.