Developing DataSnap Applications
Go Up to Key Application Types
The DataSnap technology continues to evolve, as the demands for distributed computing increase. The technology behind DataSnap has moved beyond the approach of remoting data through the Microsoft COM/DCOM to a more open communication approach based on TCP/IP. This evolution has allowed the DataSnap technology to expand its capabilities in order to include a complete middleware technology. One of the key features of the technology is that it is fast: fast to build, fast to deploy, and fast to execute in production.
DataSnap now has expanded capabilities, allowing the technology to work within almost any standards-based infrastructure. While the latest DataSnap is still backwards-compatible with the COM/DCOM approach, it now has the ability to communicate natively through TCP/IP, and alternatively through HTTP or HTTPS. At the same time, the business logic found in the DataSnap servers can be broadcast as RESTful services.
There are no additional charges to USE or DEPLOY the DataSnap technology.
High-Level Overview of DataSnap
DataSnap Connectors for Mobile Devices
You can now create applications for mobile devices such as the iPhone (iOS), Android (Java) devices, Blackberry (Java) devices, and Windows Phone 7 (C# Silverlight).
For more information, see:
- Getting Started with DataSnap Mobile Connectors
DataSnap Proxy Code Example
The Delphi code example DSProxyGenerator_(Delphi) demonstrates how to generate a DataSnap client proxy at run time.
DataSnap Sample Applications Available in Your Product Installation
You can find DataSnap sample applications (that are installed with RAD Studio) by choosing Start | Programs | Embarcadero RAD Studio Athens | Samples. The folders of interest are
\Object Pascal\DataSnap\, containing DataSnap multiplatform demos. These DataSnap samples are called, by their folder name:
- DataSnap\Basic -- Basic DataSnap Client and Server Samples
- DataSnap\EchoToChannel -- Echo to Channel Sample
Also there are the Readme.htm files (in the DataSnap subfolders) that provide useful information about using the DataSnap multiplatform demos.
The source for the DataSnap samples in your product installation is checked into a public Subversion repository that can be found on : To check out the latest demos containing the DataSnap sample applications, go to Demos. Furthermore, you can commit changes to the samples and also update your local copies to acquire the latest changes made to the samples on .
The following videos provide more information regarding the DataSnap technology:
- DataSnap Overview and Architecture
- DataExplorer support for DataSnap
- Using a DataSnap Server with an Application (Tutorial)
- DataSnap Server Application
- DataSnap Client Application
- Serializing User Objects Using JSON
- DataSnap REST
- Authentication and Authorization
- Server Side Session Management
- Cloud Computing with DataSnap
- Deployment Manager
- DataSnap Connectors for Mobile Devices
- Tutorial: Using a DataSnap Server with an Application
- Tutorial: DataSnap Application Using an ISAPI DLL Server