Quick Start Guide:Create AppWave Supported or Custom App from Install
Go Up to Creating Apps
With this option, you create, edit, and broadcast an app from install using AppWave Studio. Some steps require additional information depending on the application you have chosen to install. Some steps may be automatically completed for you.
This type of mastering is recommended for use by an Independent Software Vendor (ISV) user. The user mastering the application must have the knowledge to make key decisions during the creation process. This includes knowledge about the results of decisions made and when and why to use the default recommendations.
After you have installed the AppWave Browser and have mastering permission from the Administrator, click Studio to open the Start page.
For more information on how to set up this permission, please refer to the Admin User Guide.
Note: If you are using Window 7 or later versions you need to run the AppWave Browser a an administrator. Right-click the AppWave Browser to select Run as administrator.
- On the Build an App page click Create AppWave Supported or Custom App from Install or click .
- In the Record Application Installation dialog, browse to the application executable (application.exe)
- Note: The "Command Line" value indicates how to launch the file and the value is the trigger to run a specific command. We will not use a command line option for this app. Please refer to Using the Command Line in the Studio User Guide.
- Leave the default setting of Installer process and sub-processes only. This option captures only the install processes instead of all the processes associated with the application.
- Leave the default setting of Apply AppWave Mastering Template Rules. As the mastering goes through the steps to create an app, tasks may be created indicating missing data. This option automatically completes any missing data.
- Click Record and the install process starts. A Recording dialog appears in the upper right corner of your screen and the AppWave Browser is minimized. The blinking recording status button indicates that each action you take is recorded.
- Follow the install steps for your selected application.
- During the install process, you may be asked for licensing information. For example, if you have already installed a previous version or have a trial version, you get information regarding the status of your license. If you are installing a trial version from Embarcadero for the first time the Register Trial Owner dialog box opens. Enter your EDN user name and password to request a trial.
- If you do not have an EDN account, click Create new EDN account.
- When the installation process finishes click Finished in the Recording dialog and the Record installation dialog appears. This dialog identifies everything that needs to be installed. A progress bar shows the steps being taken. The time it takes to complete the operation is also displayed.
- Note: To see the steps being performed during the installation click Details.
- The step that opens next depends on the app being mastered and the information provided during the install process.
Launch & Brand
In this step you have to introduce the information about your application that is not automatically populated. Any empty fields that are required are listed in the lower Tasks panel. An alert icon also appears next to the field. Click Fix on an issue and your cursor is placed in the field requiring information. Once the information is supplied the item listed in the Tasks panel disappears.
- If the Record Installation dialog does not close automatically, click Finished and the Launch & Brand page appears. This is where you select the launch executable and critical information.
- You need to populate the required fields:
- Launch executable: Select the application executable from the drop-down menu. The Working Folder and Icon Information fields are then automatically populated.
- Product Name: Click the drop-down arrow in the Product Name field if the application already existed in the AppWave Browser or introduce a new product name.
- Display Name: introduce the name to show in the AppWave Browser.
- Publisher: introduce the publisher of the application.
You can leave the default settings in the remainder of the fields.
This is where you can view the changes and/or additions made to your files, registry settings, environment variables, and required runtimes. You can also edit custom scripts to run when certain app events happen.
- Click Next and the Configure your App page opens.
- Click Files to view the files that were created and placed in the working folder.
- Note: For more information on this please refer to the Studio User Guide.
This step is where you master your app, record the prefetch and test the app.
- Click the Test step and the Master and Test your App page opens. Note that the output folder and file name fields are automatically populated.
- Click and a confirm dialog appears asking you to save your changes before mastering.
- After saving the project (application.tca file) the Master dialog opens and a progress bar tracks the process of mastering. It also displays the time it took to complete the operation.
- Click Finished to close the dialog and then click Next.
- Note: You can also choose to launch the mastered application at this point, but for purposes of the Quick Start we will advance to the Broadcast page.
This final step upload your app to the Appwave and makes it available in your <user's folder>.
- In the Broadcast your application to the AppWave page leave the AppWave URL default setting.
- There is a Task showing at the bottom of this page that requires fixing. This task is about using the Prefetch Option. Follow the steps here Using the Prefetch Option to complete the prefetch and mastering process.
Using the App
Once the broadcasting is complete you can return to the Apps portion of AppWave to run your application.
- Click Apps to open the AppWave Browser. Then click <user’s folder> and select the application from your folder in AppWave.
- Click Run and the End User License Agreement opens.
- Click Accept and if you have more than one license type available to you, the License Selection dialog opens.
- Select the trial license option and click OK. When loading is complete, the app opens.